Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Chess & Politics

Being a passionate chessplayer back in my younger days, I couldn’t help noticing that the five times female worldchampion in chess, Nona Gaprindashvili, has teamed up with tycoon Badri Patarkatsishvili in an attempt of building a new party. I am not sure if that particular move was on par with her former achievments at the chess table. I have always believed in taking particular care of my peasants, remembering that one of them, with some help, could always reach the other side and transform into a queen. I fear this strategy might work the other way around when dealing with Mr.P in the political game taking place in Georgia.

2 Comments:

Blogger AnnA said...

Dear Mr,

I have just discovered this very interesting blog of yours. I am a professional chessplayer myself, Nona´s former student, currently living in Barcelona. I am extremely impressed by your views about Georgia and Georgian people. Wish you good luck in all your endavours. Keep up the great work and if you need anything feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Anna

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:01:00 am  
Blogger Eistein G. said...

Hello, Anna!
Thank you very much for your kind comment. Nothing makes me more happy than getting positive feed-back from Georgians. Then I know I am not off-track :-)

So you are the student of the legendary Nona Gaprindashvili! Impressive indeed. She's a fascinating woman. What is it with chessplayers and politics? Kasparov is a central figure in Russian "politics", and Gaprindashvili is entering (I presume) Georgian politics. I remember the Spasskij-Fisher game in Reykjavik in 71 or was it 72. That became politics and symbolism, but the players were only pawns on the cold war checkerboard. That's about to change I guess.


PS. Have you read my "Discovering Georgia" section in the www.goto-caucasus.net website?

Best regards
Eistein G.

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home